In this podcast, Dustin and Kris talk about some free tools Amazon sellers can use when doing product research or every day in their business. Whether it’s advertising, keywords, listings, or other ideas Kris and Dustin cover some basic tools that are available.
See more of Dustin and Kris on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCImqJsK7Ru_hC2ZLnBC_f_Q
Listen To – Two Amazon Sellers And A Microphone Podcast On These Platforms:
Find Us On Social Media:
➜ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sellozo
➜ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/sellozoofficial
➜ LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/sellozo
➜ Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/sellozooffi
➜ Twitter: https://twitter.com/sellozoofficial
➜ YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Sellozo
Read The Full Text Here
– Hello everyone, and welcome to episode five, of Two Amazon Sellers and a Microphone. I’m Dustin Kane, and with me as always, is Kris Gramlich. How you doing Kris?
– Good Dustin. Excited for this Monday.
– Yes, that’s good.
– And I have the Chiefs play. So it’s good to see you wear your red
– Yes, definitely. Kris and I are both decked out in our Chiefs outfits. We’re both in Kansas city and it’s a big day. Chiefs Monday night football against the Ravens. So yeah, I’m excited about that. Excited about that, for sure. Also can’t believe we’re cranking through this podcast. We’re on episode five already.
– Yeah, it’s been fun. It’s good to just kind of touch on some topics. Kind of go over some few things, that we saw others could use and stuff. I’m sure when we get more and more in-depth, and more information, hopefully in the future, we can bring some guests on, interview them. That would be cool for the audience to hear. But yeah, it’s been fun so far.
– Oh yeah. And yeah with, where we’re structuring this, is we’re trying to start off with a lot of tips, for people who are maybe looking to get into this business or just starting, or early stages, we really wanna try to give some good resources and advice for that. And then yes, of course, we’ll be expanding, into a more in-depth topics, some more advanced topics for, for selling on Amazon. But today-
– Let me, let’s add, let me add something to that real quick.
– We are on Facebook live. So if you’re a seller, and you have questions, that you want us to answer you know, live for ya, come join us on Facebook live, it’s Sellozo. S E L L O Z O, get notified when we go live. And then if you’ve got a question, or if you wanna just talk about Amazon, we’d be more than happy to help out as much as we can. So check that out as well.
– Absolutely! Also, if you’re out there, and you are an experienced seller, and you’d like to come join us and tell us your story, we’d love to hear from you. We’d love to hear some different tips and tactics, from other sellers out there ah-
– For sure.
– So let us know about that as well. But yeah we will be live streaming, every podcast that we have. So please follow us. Great, great point there Kris. Today, we’re gonna be talking about some free tools, for Amazon sellers. There are a lot of great resources out there. There’s a lot of tools that are offered for free, or there’s a freemium model, where they have a basic plan or it’s free, and then you can upgrade later. But there’s just a lot of great tools out there. You do not need to be spending much money, early on, in your business. I know that I started off with nothing but free tools. Kris, how about you when you’re early?
– Yeah it’s, sure. When we first started, there was really, nothing really out there. I mean, basically, if I remember, Camel Camel Camel back in the day, we’ll talk about what that is.
– That was probably the only real thing, that we, that I used.
– Now, now there’s a whole bunch of stuff. So it’s been, it’s been great.
– Yeah, yeah. So we definitely, we definitely started for free, down this path but, yeah it’s really fun, just to look at some of these tools and some, some of these tools are very powerful, in terms of what you can do to help you research. The majority of the tools we’ll be talking about today, are great for product research. A lot of them, a lot of these tools will do the same thing. So we’ll just briefly cover what they are, and how you can, how you can access them. And, but yeah, a lot of them will do the same thing, but why don’t we, why don’t we go ahead and jump in? Let’s just, let’s just get cranking with, with some of these tools.
– And we’re not affiliated with any of these, we’re just sharing some tools that we like, and we’ve seen. So we’re just kind of giving you some recommendations, so, use them as you want, but yeah we’re not, we’re not in any way affiliated with any of these tools.
– Yeah exactly. So the first one, we talked about, this one’s been around for a long time. It’s called Camel Camel Camel. Interesting name. I have no idea why they have that name. Do you know why they have that name Kris?
– No, no I don’t, but I, it’s, it’s one of the first ones out there that I used.
– For research, but I’m not sure what.
– I’m sure there’s a story behind it. But it is, it’s basically a price tracker. I, the, you know, typical person, using Camel Camel Camel, would be a buyer, a shopper. It’s a great way, where you can sort of track a product, or get alerted. So if you’ve got, if you know there’s a Christmas present, you wanna get for somebody in December, but you wanna track it, Camel Camel Camel will let you know like when, maybe when it’s on discount or for sale, and you could jump on there and buy it. But there’s a lot of really good resources you could use, as a seller, or a product research, where you can use Camel Camel Camel to help you out. What, what are ways that you used it, or are using it currently, Kris to help you out?
– Well you could see like, inside this extension, you can see like the price history of a product. It goes back, I think to when it first came live, but it goes back to at least 30 days, you can see the price movement.
– So I like that. You can sign up for an alert, so if something does, you know, go below the threshold, or go below a price that you set, you can get alerted for that. It is good for shoppers. I’ve seen people use it for like drop shipping, or for wholesaling.
– So that’s another way to use it. It’s a free tool out there. So if you do wanna you know, try to get some more information on products, or do some good product research, it’s not a bad tool to have. It’s, it doesn’t cost too much. Now there’s, there’s other things, I’m sure you can, you know, upgrade to, but for the majority of it, you can get the most out of it, just by signing up for free.
– It also, another good thing you can do, is they’ll tell you like you mentioned how, you know, when the product launched basically, it’s gonna show you the whole history. So you can find out some interesting, interesting things. Like if you’re looking at a potential competitor, and they’ve been, they launched two months ago, and they’ve got 2000 reviews, you know something’s fishy. You know something’s going on, with that product. And that might be either, either you need to discount it, or be concerned that you’re in a niche, with some shady characters potentially. So, what you can do, with Camel Camel Camel. Next is Keepa. Keepa is another free tool, that it’s, you can upgrade on Keepa, to the more advanced tools. But Kris you wanna just go over, a little bit about what Keepa is.
– Yeah, this is another thing that shows up on your, on your product page. Like if you look, if you’re looking for products, it’ll be below the main images. It’ll be like a graph, that shows you, you know, price drops in stock, how many sellers are on there.
– If Amazon’s a seller, sales rank, graphs, you can see how popular an item has been, you can tell if, like they did like a massive lightning deal, you’ll see the, you’ll see that in the graph. So it’s, it, sometimes, if you just look off of sales rank or BSR, that may not be what the, that BSR has been over the last 30 days, they may have done a really good lightning deal or something. So I like to, I like to look at that, to make sure that it’s, you know, very consistent, as far as what the sales rank is, but keep it, keep us good Keepa Keepa Keepa. Camel Camel Camel and Keepa, two good tools to have, that they’re free. But I like Keepa ’cause it kind of shows you the sales rank. We use that when we talk to sellers,
– Especially like when we’re looking at product pages, we’ll get sellers are like, what is this tool? What does that, why is your product page, look different than mine? And it’s because we have a, we have Keepa on our computers, that kind of show us the sales rank, give us some more, you know data, as far as how good a product is selling, as we’re talking to sellers.
– Sure, yeah, more, a lot of these are Chrome plugins.
– So it is changing what the website, like when you load up Amazon, you get a lot of other data, that you wouldn’t normally see when you just look at Amazon itself. But great, great tool. Yeah, look, understand, like you’re talking about, just seeing sort of historical data, ’cause snapshot data can be misleading. Like you can go on like you mentioned if you see a product that’s got, that’s doing really good BSR right now, yeah, that might not be how it normally is. There might be some-
– Something going on, so it’s good to look at. Also, it’s good to look at this data in, through multiple. So I will a lot of times look at Camel Camel Camel, Keepa, some others that we’re gonna look at, like Unicorn Smasher as well, and compare the data. Because these tools scrape the data. So it’s not always dead on. It’s not always exactly accurate. So sometimes you can, if you see a discrepancy between the diff, the tools, so, you might know that something else is going on as well. So that’s good just to double-check between them. All right, next up. Let’s talk about Keyword Tool. So you can find this @keywordtool.io. This is just a really great way, to get some keywords. Like if you are launching a new product, and you wanna make sure you have all the, you know, the backend keywords, and all the right keywords in your listing, and what to highlight for your title. If you’re gonna start running some ad campaigns, you wanna make sure you’re targeting relevant keywords. You wanna make sure you get all of them. The nice thing about this Keywordtool.io, is you can type in just sort of a main keyword, and then get a whole bunch, of recommendations as well, that you can use. And you can switch between what you wanna look at. For example, you could look at Google, YouTube, Amazon, eBay. So you might be able to get, a little bit of an adjusted list, based on what platform you’re looking, keywords for. So I do, I do like this Keyword Tool, for all of those as well. Anything about, anything you wanna add to that Kris?
– Yeah, it, a lot of sellers get caught up, on what’s being searched on Amazon. This tool, keywordtool.io, will give you really good long-tail keywords suggestions, things that you can add to your listing, or, I’ve seen where people, I take the keyword suggestions, that you’re getting from this tool, and add it to your images, as like the, oh, the file name of the image.
– Great idea.
– So when someone types in like a, a dog leash for my golden retriever or whatever,
– If you have that listed as like the file name, for one of your images,
– This can be pulled up in the images section. And then that can drive traffic to your Amazon listing. So I know like for myself, and I’ve talked to some other sellers, that when they upload their photos to the listing, they name them, you know, really get long-tail keywords, they use a tool like keywordtool.io, to put those file names as like Google searched, and that way your images show up, in the image section, and then you can pull that traffic into your photo, or Amazon listing. So that’s another good way to use this tool.
– Great suggestion there Kris.
– Yes That’s actually something I, I did, and I, I haven’t done on some of my more recent products, but I should probably go back and do, I mean, it can’t
– It’s super powerful. Like a lot of sellers just save it as a file name, like generic you know, image one, or image two. But if you name the file, that’s something to do with your product, or really launch your keywords,
– Over time, it can, it can really pull some traffic to your listing.
– Absolutely, absolutely. All right, let’s keep moving down the list here. Another really great tool is FBA Calculator.
– This is another Chrome plugin, it’s made by Seller App, you can find this in the Chrome web store if you type in FBA Calculator. This, when you pull up a product on Amazon, go to a product page on Amazon, you can pull up the FBA calculator extension, and it will populate all the fees, that this product is charging. You see you would be able to see all the FBA fees, the like the the pick and pack fee, what the referral fee is on this. And then you have, inside the application, you can put in what your anticipated product costs would be, your cost of goods sold. And that way you can find out ahead of time, what your profitability will be on this. Really, really important to use tools like this, because a lot of times you, you don’t have a good understanding, of what the fees are involved. And sometimes just changing something like, a few inches in the size of your box or whatever, can move you up or down a, a level of their pricing, for what they charge for their storage fees, and their picking and their handling fees. So this really can help you in your research phase, isolate and know exactly, what your fees are gonna be for this product.
– That’s a good tip. You know if, if you can, if you can manufacture, or change a product packaging, by a few inches length or height-wise, that can really save you on your FBA fee. So that’s something to look at, as you’re doing research. Like if this product is classified as, you know oversized or, or standard oversized, maybe there’s a way to, make the packaging a little bit smaller, so that you fit in a different shipping, true that’s a good tip.
– Oh yeah. ‘Cause that, so when I’m looking at this all, I will pull up a, a product that’s similar to what I’m looking for on Amazon. I will look at the FBA Calculator. I’ll already know my quote from my supplier, of what my cost is, and what the size is gonna be, of my product from that supplier. And you can look at that FBA Calculator, for a comp, a comp product on Amazon. And you can see both if your if your box is like this, a similar size, or the same size, and then what their fees are for if it’s the same, you’ll know you’re gonna be dealing with the same fees. And if it’s not the same, you know, you might have a competitive advantage, with the smaller, or figure out a way, to talk to your supplier to get it in a smaller package.
– So you know, there’s a lot of different ways, you can do that with products, it’s to put them in a smaller package.
– So that’s a great, great, and a lot of these products, have a calculator app in them so that you can do this. But if you, if you’re looking for just a good Chrome extension that FBA Calculator from Seller App is fantastic.
– All right, another one. Google Trends.
– I know.
– That’s trends.google.com This can just allow you, I mean I, I’ll let you go, into a little more depth on this Kris but, this just allows you to see trends in search. And also just some things that are, that might be like breaking out currently right now. What might be hot as a relevant keyword, or topic, or, you know, a lot of times you’ll put a keyword in, and then there’ll be like something that’s a breakout, will be like a celebrity, or an influencers name with that because whatever, whatever they’re doing, with that, will be hot right now. Like I know, or I knew, like with a lot of a fitness products, back in the day, like when Beachbody was low, or Insanity was coming out, there the Insanity would be like a breakout keyword, for a lot of different, exercise keywords so, that you can, you can find a lot with Google Trends. Do you use Google Trends much in your research Kris?
– Yeah, so I do it towards the end. Like if I find a product that I like, I will just kind of validate it. And if I’ve done my research, I kind of know that it’s already, something I wanna go after. But just to like double-check, I like to go look at Google Trends and make sure that the, that the volume is there on Google as well. That is something that’s coming up, or there’s something that people are looking for. Another cool way to use this is a tool called Glimpse, G L I M P S E. And I think their website, it’s Meglimpse.com.
– What this, what this site does is, you can subscribe to like their newsletter, and they’ll send you trends before they actually are like trending. Like, so they, they not scrape, but they monitor Google Trends,
– And if something is like to, it’s like a stock market. If something like about the job, or something’s gonna really take off, you get an email from them every week, as like here’s the top trends. And this is a good way to like, maybe hop on a product or hop on a industry, before it really takes off. But some of these may be very competitive, but at least you know that the, that the volume is there, that people are actually looking for it.
– Yeah, it is a lot. It could be, a caution with that, is you wanna make sure you’re not, getting involved in a fad.
– There’s a lot of talk about fad-
– Yeah, we could talk about that right?
– That will be a whole other episode. I speak, I speak from experience, a lot. Jumping on to a fad, you definitely don’t wanna be loaded up, with inventory right? When that fad dies. So well, we can talk about, that will definitely be, that could be a whole series of episodes, on what not to do there. But, yes, trends are very important to be aware of, and stay on top of. So I like that. Great tip with the other Glimpse? Meglimpse?
– Yeah, Meglimpse. meglimpse.com. It’s, it’s a good newsletter, you can subscribe to, it’s free. They got every, they got other things. You can pay for plans, but it’s a good way to, like just kind of keep up with things, and sometimes you get an email and you’re like, oh, that’s a good idea. And then you just check it out for-
– But, I’ll give you an example. I got one, probably three months ago, it was magnet fishing, where you, like buy a big magnet, you source a magnet, and people buy these magnets and they just go fish, in ponds and like pull things out of the water. It was-
– Ah ah.
– It was not like, it wasn’t saturated. You go look at it now, it’s supersaturated. So like, it was a good idea, three or four months ago, when this were, we’re doing this podcast, towards the last, end of September. But like three or four months ago, I got that email, and I looked it up, and it, you know obviously just doesn’t fit in the niche I wanna go after. But there was not that much competition on Amazon. And then, like now, if there’s a ton of product so-
– It’s a good way to like keep up with things. Like, see what things are going on.
– So you’re like fishing for like junk, like hubcaps and stuff at the park.
– Yeah, stop signs or like you know, coins.
– Oh oh.
– And there’s a whole, there’s a whole industry. Like if you check it out on YouTube, there’s a whole bunch of stuff. People are fishing. It’s funny.
– Oh, in a few months, although our lakes and ponds are gonna be spotless.
– Yeah. It’s crazy. The magnet is no bigger than like a tennis ball, but it’s super powerful.
– That’s interesting.
– Yeah, magnet fishing.
– And you learn something new every day. I love it. all right, let’s move along here. Next up is a AMZ Base. This is actually a tool that I’m, personally, I’m not that familiar with, but it’s, it’s well used. It’s interesting. It does a lot of the same stuff we talked about, as the others. It’s got a lot of, it’s scraping the data. It’s got a lot of, a lot of the product data over history, like pricing the data for, but it also integrates with like Alibaba and AliExpress. So it, it can kind of connect you really quick, once you’re looking at a product, to a supplier supplying that product. So that’s a really good, I, you guys should check that out. Have you used that one before Kris?
– I haven’t, but I can, just by looking at it, it looks like they integrate a bunch of other tools, that we talked about the Camel Camel Camel,
– That they integrate those, I like that you can store, in a few links.
– So this would be, this would probably be a good tool to have, especially starting out. It’s a free Chrome extension, but they have a lot of different things, that we’ve already mentioned, that are gonna be in here. So you don’t have to like toggle back and forth. It’s only gonna be in their tool. So I will test this out. It will, it does look interesting.
– Yeah, so everyone check that out. It’s called AMZ Base. Let us know what you think, think of that. Again, another one that’s very similar, to Keepa and others, and this looks like what the AMZ Base, is called Unicorn Smasher. It’s got a free Google play, or Chrome plugin, where it’s also pulling, or it’s scraping Amazon for all of the data. So it’s another great one to use. There, you can upgrade with Unicorn Smasher. But again, I haven’t really played around, with this one much. We, we experimented a little, a couple of months ago with Unicorn Smasher Kris, and you know, I just, I think it just depends on, the way you like to see the data presented.
– The Unicorn Smasher, if you go to their website, it’s a little bit more colorful. There’s a lot, there’s a lot going on. And obviously, they’re going off of the whole, if you can find the Unicorn product then you’re, then you’re in business for sure. But do you, do you have anything to add to that one Kris?
– This was like one of the very, maybe not the very first, but it was close, to the very beginning, where I started to start using tools like this. So back in 2015, they had, they have another tool called Cash Cow Pro, they’re kind of integrated together. I don’t know much about since then. I know that it does things like, you can look at the full dashboard of a product. You can see the opportunity to score, and make sure it makes sense. You can kind of get the estimated sales volume of a product. You can see how deep the niche is of a product. But yeah, this would be a good starting point, for somebody who’s kind of want to, you know, maybe take it easy and nuts, not get caught up in spending a lot, on softwares at the very beginning. This would probably be a good tool to check out first. And then as you get more product, and as you scale your business, maybe pivot a little bit, and try some other tools.
– Absolutely! All right, next up is called Sellerise.
– This is my favorites. This is new-ish. And to me, this was a game changer tool. So Amazon, months ago, released inside the UI, on your orders page, where you can click on the order, and then up in the top right, you can click one button, that will send a review request, to that customer previously, Kris, you and I had to use follow up email services, to try to ask for that review from, from our customers. But now this email is coming directly, from Amazon. It’s super easy, when you’re the buyer, and you get that email, you admit it, typically you can open up on your phone, or you can just click five stars and that’s it. Superfast! The downside is, is you got to actually go into every order, and click that button-
– And get the-
– Takes forever.
– So well, into Sellerise, it’s free. You install the Chrome plugin, and you hit one button, and it will do all of the review requests, for all of your orders. Life-saving tool. ‘Cause that was, you and I were stoked. We were excited when this came out, that Amazon offered us, I mean, it was, it was so great, and we’ve seen much better conversions, on getting reviews, when we send this, then when we have done our previous, follow-up email sequences. So we immediately went looking for a solution. I don’t know how these guys did it so fast, because literally the day I think we learned, that existed, this tool existed. So a great, great tool.
– Yeah, this tool was made and installed by a big-time seller. And he, he was fast. His team was fast to make something for an extension. This thing is, is super powerful. Again, what Dustin was just talking about, is you just go to your order section and, and press get review. And it goes through all your orders, and it’ll send, it’ll send that customer, not Sellerise, but it’ll send the customer an email from Amazon. Amazon is gonna send this customer an email, asking them just to rate the product. They don’t have to write anything. They don’t have to you know, sign in another, it’s just a rating system. They just have to rate it. And then that rating counts as a review per se, on your product, on your listing.
– So you can kind of like double dip here. Amazon is automatically gonna send the customer, a review request. I have to, it’s up to 14 days or so. Amazon does that. You can do this one as well, where the customer gets this one, and sees, and sees and just gives it a rating. This, this has been super powerful. This is a way better, you know, solution to get reviews for products, but they got other tools inside. But I really like, I really liked that review requests. I still have it, I still use it.
– Oh yeah. I use it every day.
– All right, let’s talk about one more Kris. This is the one you, I’ll let you talk about this. You showed me this, a few months ago. I really liked it. It’s a tool called Keywords Everywhere.
– Again, that goes right into your Amazon. When you’re on the page, I’ll let you describe it Kris ’cause it’s great.
– Sure, that’s fantastic. Yeah, I think I was probably, talking with you and you’re like, “Where are all these keywords coming from, in your search bar?”
– So what it is, it’s just a Chrome extension. You add to your, your browser. And then when you go to Amazon, and start typing in something, you know, whether a dog, brush, it’ll give you the Amazon suggested terms, but it goes even further, and like shows you long-tail search terms,
– That are being shown for Amazon. So without having to like, do a lot of manual search, you can just type in a few seed keywords, in the search bar of Amazon. And you’ll see a lot of different, different terms that people are looking for, like a dog brush, for my small dog, under five pounds, or something like that. Like that’s a really niche search term. And maybe that’s a category you can go into because there’s not a lot of competition there.
– So it gives you good like product ideas, but it also gives you good long-tail keywords, that you can target in your PPC campaigns.
– Hmm, exactly. Yeah, I love that tool as well. It’s been, it’s just good to me, you get that straight, straight from Amazon’s data. So it’s can be really powerful that tool Yeah Kris, these are great. These are, just talking about these free tools. I think it’s, just a huge benefit, for anyone starting out, on no matter what area of your business you’re in, to have these free tools out there, and yeah. So the, hopefully, you guys can find some good uses with these. Now, Kris and I are both account executives at Sellozo. Sellozo is a company that can fully automate, and optimize your advertising on Amazon. So if we would love to talk with you, we talk to Amazon sellers all the time. You can go to sellozo.com, and book a time to chat with us about anything, in your business you wanna discuss. And we can also demo the Sellozo platform for you. And for all of you listening today, whether you’re on the Facebook Live, or listening to this podcast, if you’d like to try Sellozo out for 14 days for free, and then get 20% off your first month, you can sign up for Sellozo, and use this code: PODCAST20, to get 20% off your first month. Kris, anything, any last nuggets you wanna add before we leave for the day?
– Go Chiefs.
– It’s like, go Chiefs, exactly. If you’re not a Chiefs fan, we still love you. We’re still together. If you are a Chiefs fan, we really love you. Give us a call and we’d love to talk more Amazon. But, anyway, that’s it for today, those are the free tools for Amazon sellers. We will be back at it tomorrow. Can’t wait to see you then. See you, Kris.
– See ya, bye.