Kris and Dustin discuss the Amazon Brand Registry program and how it helps sellers protect their brand on Amazon.
See more of Dustin and Kris on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCImqJsK7Ru_hC2ZLnBC_f_Q
Hear more from the Two Amazon Sellers and a Microphone podcast here: https://anchor.fm/2amzsellersandamicrophone
– Welcome everybody to episode 13 of Two Amazon Sellers and a Microphone. Today, Kris and I are gonna be talking about Amazon’s Brand Registry Program. Kris how’s it going, man?
– Doing good. This is a good topic. This is a good program for brands to enroll in. So I’m excited to go a little bit more detail about this.
– Absolutely. Yeah. This is a program that both you and I personally have been enrolled in and dealt with and we watched this get rolled out. I’m not sure how long ago how long ago Amazon rolled this out?
– I think it was 2017. From what I remember here, maybe early 2017 but they’ve made a lot of improvements along the way. They’ve added more things to it. So, I remember getting this email like register your brand with Amazon. And it was one of those things that I just did right away. Like I didn’t wanna miss out. So, I enrolled in the brand immediately as soon as they opened it up. ‘Cause I knew it was one of those things that they were gonna continue to add good things to. So, I love it.
– Oh yeah. I mean it opens up a lot of new doors and we’ll talk about all the things that you get with brand registry. Why it’s important. I have a cautionary tale that I can, we’ll dive into as well when we get to there, but it is an important program and we’ll talk about just sort of whether you should or shouldn’t do it. Is it necessary? And just the ways you can go about it. So, let’s dig in here a little bit Kris. Why don’t you just give, tell everyone just a very, very brief overview of what it means to be brand registered on Amazon?
– Yeah. It’s basically you have a trademark on your brand and you supply or you give Amazon-proof that your brand is trademarked and then they, you can enroll that brand into this program. And once Amazon verifies that the trademark and everything is legit, you will then get access to brand registry in your account. So that’s it in a nutshell. If your, if your brand is already trademarked and you can provide proof with that to Amazon you can enroll in this program. If you don’t have a trademark yet, Amazon has came out with further IP Accelerator where you can enroll your brand through that program. And instead of waiting nine months to get your brand trademarked, you can use the IP Accelerator Program. You’ll pay a little bit more but you can get your brand trademarked in like I probably heard two weeks or like, you know, four weeks, something very fast. So they’ve, they roll up the industry and then they saw how long it was taking for brands to get verified and trademarked so they came out with IP Accelerator. And now you can basically just streamline this very fast to get your brand trademarked and then get into the Brand Register Program.
– I believe that IP Accelerator Program they’re giving you brand registry basically before you get your trademark. I hear this trademark process still takes an amount of time but they’re, they are since you’re going through their preferred network of lawyers, I think their lawyers are basically letting Amazon know, hey this is gonna go through, this is gonna work. So then they’re giving you the brand registry ahead of time. So yeah, like you said, you do pay more for that. I’ve also heard other ways because you do have to have that trademark before Amazon gets you brand registry unless you go through this program but it doesn’t necessarily have to be a US trademark. I’ve heard other stories of people going elsewhere like in the UK or in Canada the trademark application process is faster even Mexico is way faster. And it can be a couple of months to get your trademark instead of, I believe it’s, you know, nine months or so in the United States, it can take to get your trademark. So Amazon will accept other countries’ trademark to get you into the Brand Registry Program as well. So there is different things that you can look at there as well, but once you get brand registry, what doors open up for you as, as a brand? What can you do now with this, with brand registry?
– Well, you get a lot of good reporting inside Amazon. You’ll get a Brand Analytics which what that is, is basically showing you like search volume or not volume but search frequency rank on different terms that Amazon has. So you’ll get a lot of access to reporting in there. You’ll also get access on your ad side to be able to run sponsored brand video ads. So you can run video ads on keywords or search terms that you wanna target. And those convert like crazy. Those are awesome. We’ll do another podcast about those, but that’s a super thing to get access to. You’ll also be able to protect your listing. So if somebody comes on your listing or hijacks your listing, you could submit a claim and get that person taken off. So, it’s just something to like put a moat around your brand. And if this isn’t a long, if this is a long-term play and you can see this brand growing this is a program you wanna get in just because they’re gonna add more features to this in the long run. So, I definitely enrolling in there, but yeah you’re gonna get some good reporting. You’re gonna get some access to some good ads, access with your advertising, and then obviously you can protect your listing.
– Yeah. And a couple of other things you get enhanced brand content or A-plus content is opened to you. They may open that up to other sellers now as well, but you definitely have the access to that. You also have, you’re protected in that other sellers can’t create listings with your brand name on it. So, Amazon won’t let them. So that, so somebody, if I’ve got a brand registered name somebody else can’t create a new listing and piggyback off that brand name. It’s gotta come from my account. So there’s really good added protections there. So yeah, there’s, there’s a ton that you can do. It allows you to really make your product listings pop. Like you said, the sponsored brand video ads are unbelievable and their conversion. So if you have not registered your brand now especially if you already have your trademark there’s no reason not to register it. And you can create storefronts with that as well. So that’s another big benefit is your ability to create branded storefronts. People can see all your products. It gives you a place where when you run sponsored brand ads for people to click on those and go to your storefront and see all of your brand at the same spot. It gives you basically a URL on Amazon with your brand. So when people search for your brand on Google there, you know, that’s gonna be obviously index super high. So it’s good, but there’s just so many benefits I feel like to this program, but it’s a no brainer.
– Yeah. You get access to like Amazon Live so you can put your product on Amazon Live. Again you get the Brand Analytics, that’s super powerful. You can upload videos. They’ve don’t give that access to everybody but you can upload your videos. The stories you’ve mentioned, A-plus content, you mentioned. So you’re just getting, they’re giving you more marketing tools for brands. And the whole idea is like to attract bigger brands to come over to Amazon and see all the access they get. Cause a lot of these bigger brands wanna be able to kind of control their brand on Amazon. That was a big issue in the past was where, you know, somebody is knocking off a brand or selling a branded item that doesn’t relate to what the big brand is selling. And these bigger brands were like, we don’t wanna go to Amazon because it’s just a bunch of counterfeit products and we can’t control our listing. And then this program rolled out. So now you can control the listing. You can report infringement claims. It’s basically helping you protect your listing, protect your brand so that you don’t get, so somebody doesn’t like hijack you and take over.
– Yeah, absolutely. And it just gives you a lot more real estate on Amazon to work with like we’re talking about those storefronts, et cetera. Now I can tell you an interesting story. I’ll tell you a little cautionary tale for anybody who’s out there that’s starting in their private label. I’ve got a couple of brands that are very successfully enrolled in brand registry. They’re trademarked. And I have another brand name that I had created and to get brand registered I decided to get the trademark. So I applied for that trademark. Immediately after applying for the trademark, I got a cease and desist letter from a very large company that was claiming trademark infringement that my name was too closely related to their name. So I had to fight that, get lawyers, cost me a lot of money, ended up being okay. Ended up being where I was able to just choose not to go for the trademark and live happily ever after but I would not be able to get brand registered. So, when you’re picking your brand name or deciding to the trademark, make sure you do a lot of research that there’s not something that’s close. And in my case, it was loosely close. I was like, eh, I don’t think anybody’s gonna be confused. There’s like seven other letters in this word. Pretty hard to be confused about this, but they I don’t think I was gonna win that case and it was gonna cost a lot. So it was better just to a walkway. So that’s a cautionary tale when you’re going to get a trademark, make sure you do a lot of research that you will not be infringing on somebody else. And that’s a service that you can, that’s a service I didn’t pay for, but I should have paid for ahead of time. I bet would have saved me a lot of hassle, but that can be,
– Yeah, that’s a good, good point and let me just touch on that real quick. Some of like, if you’re gonna register your brand make sure it’s in the same like format that you want for the longterm of the brand. Like we worked with the seller, I worked with a seller recently and his brand name was all lowercase. And so, he wanted to change it where the first letter was capital, and then it went all the way through. Well, you can’t, they won’t accept it because your trademark is all lowercase. So, it just looks funky on the listing. It looks a little different on the listing. So, when you do your trademark, make sure it’s in the right format that you want because that’s, what’s Amazon’s gonna use to give you your brand registry on their platform and it’s gonna look exactly the same like it is on your, on your trademark. So, that’s a mistake I saw where the guy wanted to change it but he would have to redo the whole process again. So, just make sure that when you submit that, that it’s in the correct format because that’s what Amazon is gonna use when they give you this access.
– That is, that’s interesting. I didn’t know that. Good thing that mine was in the right format, but, I didn’t even think about that. I think another, just to touch on just going down in the future with brand registry, it’s pretty clear that every time Amazon rolls out something new, some new marketing vehicle or some way that you can enhance your listings they’re gonna give it to brands that are registered first. And we’ve seen that, like you just talked about I mean, video has been out and available for over two years, that you’ve been able to have videos on your listing. That’s been exclusive to brand registered brands and now they’re rolling it out to other sellers. Sponsored brand video right now is just for brand registered. And they’ll probably roll that out to others as well down the road, but to stay ahead of the game, that’s why it’s really important to have this brand registered cause you’re gonna have all the new tools as they come out as Amazon releases them.
– Yup. I mean, we’ve touched on a few of these but you’re near the store, the Store builder. So you can build your own little, but basically it’s a small little website on Amazon’s platform that you can build your own little Amazon Store where you can drive traffic to and then people can see all the products that you offer. We talked about sponsored brand ads. You’re gonna get access to those. So when somebody types in your brand name you’re gonna be able to show up either with the video or a headline or they call it basically the headline search ads but at the top of the sponsored brand ad you get the Amazon Live like we mentioned earlier. So there’s this, there’s more things coming. And I think that getting into this program early will benefit you in the long run ’cause you’re gonna get access to these with some of your competitors that may be dragging their feet a little bit. So, you know, if this is a brand that you have or you have a brand that you’re serious about and you want to go down this niche with that brand, get it trademarked, get in that Brand Registry Program. And then if you maybe want to pivot to another brand just do another one, enroll another brand in the program and you could have two brands Amazon program. So, I, you know, with the creation of the IP Accelerator they’ve made it super easy to trademark a brand. So if there’s something that you see that you want or brand that you want and you wanna make sure that you have that and you own that brand name, I wouldn’t hesitate. I would definitely get in there because you want to make sure you have this for the long run.
– Absolutely. Yeah. And I think we’ve covered all the highlights of brand registry, I think we’re making it obvious why everyone should do it. You should just go ahead. I mean, it’s the way that like we talk about every podcast. If you’re playing the long game on Amazon and you’re, and then you know, the long game on E-commerce in general, where you’re getting your brand awareness out there to everyone, it’s super important. It’s gonna, it’ll open up a lot of doors for you and it’ll make your listings and everything pop. So, that was, that was fun Kris. It’s fun to talk about stuff like that and just encourage people to make sure you’re taking all the necessary steps using all available options on Amazon to succeed the best you can. So for everyone out there that hasn’t done brand register yet, get on it, get started, get your brand registered, and just start enjoying the benefits. That was fun, Kris.
– Yeah, we’ll do another one.
– All right. Have a good one.
– See ya.